I teach phonetics, phonology, and general linguistics at WVU. My research interests include phonetics, phonology, the interface between the two, prosody and the syntax-phonology interface, and the structural analysis and cognition of music.
I received my PhD in phonetics and phonology from MIT in 2010. Here is my dissertation (PDF, 7 M). Here is my CV (PDF, 166 k, updated 4/2017).
As of January 2016, I no longer work with journals published by Springer or Elsevier (one older paper appeared in a Springer journal in 2017). Other for-profit publishers will be considered on a case-by-case basis. I will prioritize journals published by scholarly societies and university presses, and especially journals that operate according to the fair open-access principles outlined by the LingOA initiative.
- (To appear). Harmonic syntax of the 12-bar blues: a corpus study. To appear in Music Perception. Preprint; PDF; 1.1 M. Supplementary materials: data, statistical models, tree graphs, description of modeling.
- (2017). Exceptional cadential chords and tonal interpretation. In Halpert, Kotek, & van Urk (eds.), A Pesky Set: A Festschrift for David Pesetsky. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Working Papers in Linguistics. 447-456. Preprint (LingBuzz).
- (2016). Lenition, perception, and neutralisation. Phonology 33(1), 43-85. Preprint; PDF; 623 k.
- (2016) (w/ Sarah Lee). Perceptual integration of acoustic cues to laryngeal contrasts in Korean fricatives. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 139(2), 605-611. Preprint; PDF; 651 k.
- (2015). Hip-hop rhymes mirror phonological typology. Lingua 160, 54-73.
Preprint; PDF; 418 k. N.B. This paper appeared in Lingua, the original journal with the real editorial team that continues as Glossa, *not* the 'zombie' journal of the same name created by Elsevier in 2015.
- (2015) (w/Emmanuel Chemla and Christophe Pallier). An attentional effect of musical metrical structure. PLoS One 10(11).
- (2013). Asymmetries in English vowel perception mirror compression effects. Phonetica 70, 93-116. Preprint; PDF; 389 k.
- (2012). Compression effects in English. Journal of Phonetics 40(3), 390-402. Preprint; PDF; 979 k. Raw data (tab-delimited .txt, 125k); Description of fields in data file (.txt, 2k).
- (2011) (w/ Lisa Selkirk) Contrastive
Focus vs. Discourse-New: Evidence from Prosodic Prominence in English. Language 87(4), 771-816. Preprint; PDF; 1.2 M.
- (2009, 2011) (w/ David Pesetsky). The Identity Thesis for Language and Music. Unpublished manuscript that's been cited many times in published work. Link is to LingBuzz.
- (2008). Romance and restriction; PDF; 552k. MIT generals paper. Unpublished but cited several times in published work.
- (2006). Russian Consonant Cvljusters; PDF; 171k. First-year phonology squib (warning: amateur hour!). Unpublished, but cited several times in published work.