I teach phonetics, phonology, and general linguistics at WVU. My research interests include phonetics, phonology, the interface between the two, prosody and the syntax-phonology interface, and the structural analysis and cognition of music.
I received my PhD in phonetics and phonology from MIT in 2010. Here is my dissertation (PDF, 7 M). Here is my CV (PDF, 166 k, updated 4/2017).
As of January 2016, I no longer work with journals published by Springer or Elsevier (one older paper appeared in a Springer journal in 2017). Other for-profit publishers will be considered on a case-by-case basis. I will prioritize journals published by scholarly societies and university presses, and especially journals that operate according to the fair open-access principles outlined by the LingOA initiative.
- (To appear). Harmonic syntax of the 12-bar blues: a corpus study. To appear in Music Perception. Preprint (LingBuzz). Supplementary materials: data, statistical models, tree graphs, description of modeling.
- (2017). Exceptional cadential chords and tonal interpretation. In Halpert, Kotek, & van Urk (eds.), A Pesky Set: A Festschrift for David Pesetsky. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Working Papers in Linguistics. 447-456. Preprint (LingBuzz).
- (2016). Lenition, perception, and neutralisation. Phonology 33(1), 43-85. Preprint; PDF; 623 k.
- (2016) (w/ Sarah Lee). Perceptual integration of acoustic cues to laryngeal contrasts in Korean fricatives. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 139(2), 605-611. Preprint; PDF; 651 k.
- (2015). Hip-hop rhymes mirror phonological typology. Lingua 160, 54-73.
Preprint; PDF; 418 k. N.B. This paper appeared in Lingua, the original journal with the real editorial team that continues as Glossa, *not* the 'zombie' journal of the same name created by Elsevier in 2015.
- (2015) (w/Emmanuel Chemla and Christophe Pallier). An attentional effect of musical metrical structure. PLoS One 10(11).
- (2013). Asymmetries in English vowel perception mirror compression effects. Phonetica 70, 93-116. Preprint; PDF; 389 k.
- (2012). Compression effects in English. Journal of Phonetics 40(3), 390-402. Preprint; PDF; 979 k. Raw data (tab-delimited .txt, 125k); Description of fields in data file (.txt, 2k).
- (2011) (w/ Lisa Selkirk) Contrastive
Focus vs. Discourse-New: Evidence from Prosodic Prominence in English. Language 87(4), 771-816. Preprint; PDF; 1.2 M.
- (2009, 2011) (w/ David Pesetsky). The Identity Thesis for Language and Music. Unpublished manuscript that's been cited many times in published work. Link is to LingBuzz.
- (2008). Towards a Generative Theory of Hip-hop.; PDF; 862 k. Extended handout from the 2008 Tufts conference Music, Language, and Mind. The phonetic aspects of this project ended up as my 2015 Lingua paper, but much to my regret I never really pursued the textsetting aspect. This conference presentation has since been cited in several published papers as a source for generalizations about hip-hop textsetting and rhyme.
- (2008). Romance and restriction; PDF; 552k. MIT generals paper. Unpublished but cited several times in published work.
- (2006). Russian Consonant Cvljusters; PDF; 171k. First-year phonology squib (warning: amateur hour!). Unpublished, but cited several times in published work.