Dr. Yanfang (Fanny) Ye is currently an assistant professor in the Land Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
, West Virginia University
. She received her Ph.D. in computer science from the Department of Computer Science
, Xiamen University
in 2010. Before joining WVU, she had over six years working experience in cybersecurity industry: she was the Principal Scientist in Comodo Security Solutions, Inc. (2010-2013) and formerly the Deputy Director R&D at Kingsoft Internet Security Corporation (2008-2010). She has had over sixty publications in her fields (e.g., ACM CSUR, IEEE TNNLS, IEEE TSMC, KAIS, JCV, SIGKDD, WWW, AAAI, IJCAI, ACSAC
). Her proposed techniques have significantly reduced the time needed to detect new malicious software - from weeks to seconds, which have been incorporated into popular commercial cybersecurity products including Comodo and Kingsoft Antivirus that protect millions of users worldwide. She recently received the prestigious NSF Career Award
(2019). Her recent work on intelligent malware detection received the SIGKDD 2017 Best Paper Award
and SIGKDD 2017 Best Student Paper Award (Applied Data Science Track)
; and her work on adversarial machine learning won the AICS 2019 Challenge Problem Winner
and the IEEE EISIC 2017 Best Paper Award
. She also recently received the New Researcher of the Year Award
(2016-2017) from the Statler College at WVU. She has been awarded multiple research grants from the NSF and DoJ/NIJ
in funding on her research. All these awards are highly competitive. She is currently serving as an Associate Editor in IEEE Transaction on Big Data
; she has also served on the Program Committee of top-tier international conferences in her fields such as SIGKDD, AAAI, IJCAI, ICDM, CIKM, S&P, ACSAC
- Cybersecurity, Data Mining, Machine Learning, and Health Intelligence.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, West Virginia University (2013.11-Present)
- Principal Scientist, Comodo Security Solutions, Inc. (2010-2013)
- Deputy Director R&D, Kingsoft Internet Security Corporation (2008-2010)
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Xiamen University (2007-2010)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Big Data (IEEE TBD), 2018-2020.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Information Engineering and Applied Computing, 2018-2020.
- Workshop/Tutorial/Session/Publicity Chair: ICDM (2018-2019), IEEE BigData (2018-2019), CIKM (2017), IEEE ICSC (2015-2016), ICMLA (2015), WISE (2015).
- Program Committee: S&P (2020), ACSAC (2019), AAAI (2019), ACM SIGKDD (2017-2019), IJCAI (2017, 2019), CIKM (2019), ICDM (2018), ICICS (2018), EISIC (2018), SNAST (2018-2016), WEBIST (2018, 2017), WISE (2018-2015), SIA (2017), ACCSE (2016), WoTBD (2016), MobiApps (2016), ICTAI (2016), DPNoC (2016).
- Journal/Conference Referee (I have reviewed about 120 papers in the past four years): (J): IEEE TKDE (2019, 2018, 2017), IEEE TIFS (2019, 2017), DMKD (2019, 2018), JACI (2018), JAIHC (2018), COMP (2018), ESWA (2018, 2016), MDPI (2018), JFGCS (2018), JDSA (2018), JECE (2018), SCN (2018, 2016), JISA (2018), IEEE Access (2018), IEEE TBD (2017), IEEE TDSC (2017, 2016), JNCA (2017, 2015), JSS (2017), ACM CSUR (2016), IEEE TC (2016), IEEE TNNLS (2016), IJAIT (2016, 2015), WWW (2016), IEEE TSC (2015), INCA (2015), IEEE IS (2014), JIS (2014), JBD (2014); (C): AAAI (2019), ACM SIGKDD (2018-2017), ICDM (2018), ICICS (2018), EISIC (2018), SNAST (2018-2016), WEBIST (2018), WISE (2018-2015), IJCAI (2017), ACCSE (2016), FNC (2015), DPNoC (2015), IEEE ICAINA (2014), IEEE ISWVC (2014).
- Panels: NSF Panels (2018-2019), Cyber Florida Panel (2018-2019), Heidelberg Laureate Forum (2018-2019).
- Invited Talk @ BUPT, Aug 2018.
- Invited Talk @ Tencent, Aug 2018.
- Invited Talk @ WHU, Jul 2018.
- Invited Talk @ FNU, Nov 2017.
- Invited Talk @ Alibaba Group, Oct 2017.
- Invited Talk @ UNCC, Oct 2016.
- Invited Talk @ the 1st Big Data/Cybersecurity Workshop at WVU, Dec 2015.
- Tutorial @ IEEE International Conference on Sematic Computing (IEEE-ICSC), Feb 2015.
- Invited Talk @ Virginia Tech, Nov 2014.
- Poster @ WVU Fourth Annual Security and Intelligence Research Showcase, Nov 2014.
- Invited Talk @ WVU, Feb 2014.
- NSF Career Award (PI), 2019.
- DoJ/NIJ Award (PI), 2019.
- AICS 2019 Challenge Problem Winner, 2019.
- APLU Member Spotlights, 2019.
- IEEE ICDM Outstanding Service Award, 2018.
- NSF CICI Award (PI), 2018.
- NSF SaTC Award (PI), 2018.
- WV HEPC Grant Award (Co-PI), 2018.
- WVU Senate Grants for Research and Scholarship Award (PI), 2018.
- SIGKDD 2017 Best Paper Award and SIGKDD 2017 Best Student Paper Award (Applied Data Science Track), 2017.
- SIGKDD 2017 Audience Appreication Award Finalist, 2017.
- IEEE EISIC 2017 Best Paper Award, 2017.
- WVU Statler New Researcher of the Year, 2017.
- NSF TWC Award (PI), 2016.
- WVU Senate Grants for Research and Scholarship Award (PI), 2016.
- WVU NT-NS Pilot Grant Award (Co-PI), 2016.
- ACM SIGKDD Google Female Conference and Travel Award winners, 2010. (only 2 winners worldwide)
- XMU First-class Scholarship Award, 2010.
- IBM Heroic Woman Award, 2009. (only 8 winners nationwide)