Prospective Undergraduate RAs

for 2013

I wish to establish a strong research program that involves mentoring both graduate and undergraduate researchers, particularly those interested in behavioral neuroscience. Undergraduates will be trained in animal husbandry and breeding, weaning and genotyping of transgenic mice, running of behavioral tasks assessing learning and memory of mice, surgeries to implant microelectrodes used to measure glutamate release, and western blot techniques.

In addition, we have weekly lab meetings where we monitor projects and facilitate progress of future projects. In addition, students select and present articles for critique, and professional development is discussed. We also work on a mentorship model where more senior students in the lab help train incoming undergraduates, an invaluable experience for those interested in mentoring after graduating.

Finally, I have a strong desire to mentor minority and first generation college students. As a first generation college student myself, I understand the difficulties and increased pressures involved. As an undergraduate, I was unsure of what to do after graduating. I thought I wanted to attend graduate school, but seeing as how an undergraduate degree had yet to be obtained by anyone in my family, including aunts, uncles, and cousins, a graduate degree seemed impossible. My life-changing moment occurred when my advisor asked me to join his research laboratory. From the moment I joined, I knew I had to go to graduate school and continue in a research path. I hope to provide this same opportunity to those that may think a research career is impossible!

Experience for Undergraduate Research Assistants

Requirements:

I am accepting undergraduate RAs for summer of 2013. A two semester commitment is required. If interested in joining the Aging and Alzheimer’s Research Laboratory, complete an application and schedule an interview with me. Course credit can be earned by registering for PSYC 495. To join, your schedule must allow for 1.5-2 hour time periods in the lab in order to complete experiments for the day, and you must be willing to commit a minimum of 6 hours per week.

In order for me to supervise a capstone or thesis (PSYC 498) project, you must first complete one semester of PSYC 495 in my lab. At the end of that semester, I will evaluate your performance and then decide whether to supervise your capstone or honor thesis. Completion of one semester of PSYC 495 does not guarantee subsequent supervision of a project. Excellent performance during your first semester in the laboratory is required.