Education
2008.12.--2014.06. Ph.D., I. Physikalisches Institut, University of Cologne, Germany
Title: The physics and chemistry of photon-dominated clouds in NGC 3603
Principal supervisor: Prof. Dr. Jürgen Stutzki
Co-supervisor: PD. Dr. Markus Röllig
2003.09.--2006.06. M.Sc., Optics and Quantumelectronics Department, University of Szeged, Hungary
Title: Photometric study of Galactic open clusters
Supervisors: Dr. József Vinkó and Balázs Csák
2001.09.--2003.06. B.Sc., University of Szeged, Hungary

Research field
(Sub)mm–spectroscopy, molecular clouds and PDR(–modeling), star–formation, physics and chemistry of ISM, photometry of open clusters and variable stars.

Languages
Hungarian: native, English: advanced, German: basic, French: basic, Russian: basic

Technical skills
-- Observations with radio and optical telescopes (e.g., KOSMA, NANTEN2, Schmidt--telescope)
-- Data reduction and analysis (e.g., Herschel, HST, SOFIA, ground-based telescopes)
-- High--level scripting/programming (see “Computer skills”)

Computer skills
Languages: Python/Jython, LaTeX, HTML,IDL, SQL, awk, bash, C++
Applications: GILDAS, HIPE, DS9, GNUplot, IRAF, Mathematica

Work experience
05/2016-- Postdoctoral Fellow, West Virginia University, Morgantown (WV), USA
Since 2016 May, I have been working with Prof. Dr. Loren Anderson as a postdoctoral fellow at the West Virginia University, studying the global Galactic massive star-formation and HII-regions. The main research project will be to use a large catalog of Galactic HII-regions to link Galactic and extragalactic star formation using studies of the Galactic HII-region luminosity function, the Galactic star formation rate, and the star formation rate efficiency.
06/2014--03/2016 Post-doc, Laboratoire d'Astrophysique de Marseille, Marseille, France
I am involved in the ViaLactea project (PI.: Dr. Sergio Molinari) which is an international research group funded by the EU. Our sub-group (leaders: Dr. Annie Zavagno and Dr. Delphine Russeil) has the main goal of build and visualize a new 3D representation of the Milky Way. For this, heliocentric distance of all structures and sources has to be calculated. To achieve this, we need kinematic inormation of radio spectroscopic data, a 3D extinction map and an updated rotational curve of our Galaxy. My responsibility is to obtain the significant velocity information of various spectral lines from different surveys.
12/2008--06/2014 Graduate research, I. Physikalisches Institut, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
During my graduate studies I have been involved in various number of side projects (e.g. data investigation of M17SW and Rosette, NANTEN2 observation support). For my dissertation (”The physics and chemistry of photon dominated clouds in NGC 3603“): Since late 2010/early 2011, I have been focusing on the analysis of NGC 3603 using Herschel spectroscopy data (both HIFI and PACS) in the frame work of Herschel key-project WADI (PI: PD. Dr. Volker Ossenkopf). In parallel to WADI, I was a member of HIFI–ICC and I tested HIPE.
08/2006--07/2008 Data analyst, RIT, Rochester (NY), USA
In “The Most Massive Stars” project, which was led by Prof. Dr. Donald Figer, I derived physical parameters of stars of the Quintuplet cluster using infrared photometry data provided by ground-based observations (H and K band of CTIO 1.3m telescope).
06/2005--08/2005 Space Astronomy Summer Program, STScI, Baltimore, MD, USA
I maintained a database of infrared sources in the Orion Nebula within the frame of one of the Hubble Space Telescope key–projects, namely in the “HST Treasury Program on the Orion Nebula” (PI: Dr. Massimo Robberto).
09/2002--06/2006 Undergraduate research, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
My main field of research was observations of open clusters and variable stars (CCD photometry, interpretation of light curves) but, as a side project, I also worked in the field of star formation and interstellar matter.

International collaborations
-- PD. Dr. Sergio Molinari, INAF-IAPS, Rome, Italy
-- PD. Prof. Dr. Michael Burton, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
-- PD. Dr. Nicola Schneider, Laboratoire d'Astrophysique de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
-- Prof. Dr. Floris van der Tak, SRON-Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, Groningen, The Netherlands
-- Dr. Bashwati Mookerjea, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
-- Dr. Tóth L., Viktor, Eötvös University, Budapest, Hungary

Observations
-- 2.5-meter SOFIA telescope
-- 4-meter NATNEN2 telescope, Pampa la Bola, Chile
-- 3-meter KOSMA telescope, Gornergrat, Switzerland
-- 0.6-meter Schmidt-telescope, Mountain Mátra, Hungary
-- 0.4-meter Cassegrain-telescope, Szeged, Hungary

Conference, meetings, workshops, visitings
January, 2018 231st AAS Meeting, Poster, Washington D.C., USA
April, 2017 Multi-Scale Star Formation, Talk, Morelia, Mexico
October, 2015 Extended structures in galactic molecular clouds, Talk, Leeds, UK
September, 2015 6th Zermatt ISM Symposium, poster, Zermatt, Switzerland
July, 2015 30 Years of Photodissociation Regions, poster, Monterey, CA, USA
April, 2015 ViaLactea work (1 week), Rome, Italy
March, 2015 ViaLactea work (1 week), Rome, Italy
February, 2015 ViaLactea work (1 week), Rome, Italy
October, 2014 ViaLactea meeting, talk, Budapest, Hungary
September, 2014 GESF2014, 2 posters, loc, Marseille, France
February, 2014 SOFIA winter school, Cologne, Germany
October, 2012 8th interferometry school, Grenoble, France
July, 2012 EWASS, poster, Rome, Italy
January, 2012 SOFIA workshops, Bonn, Germany
December, 2011 HEXOS/WADI meeting, talk, Cologne, Germany
October, 2011 CCAT workshop, loc, Cologne, Germany
September, 2011 Milky Way 2011 conference, poster, Rome, Italy
January, 2011 HIFI-KP data analyses meeting, talk, Groningen, The Netherlands
October, 2010 WADI meeting, talk, Paris, France
September, 2010 5th Zermatt ISM Symposium, Zermatt, Switzerland
July, 2010 Summer school, Oxford, England
September, 2009 Highlights of Physics, loc, Cologne, Germany
July, 2009 39th YERAC conference, talk, Porto, Portugal
May, 2009 Herschel-HIFI workshop, Cologne, Germany
2009, 2010 HIFI-ICC trainings, Groningen, The Netherlands
September, 2005 Astrophysics of Variable Stars, Pécs, Hungary

Teaching
Pharmacists' Physics Laboratory to first grade undergraduate students at University of Szeged
Astronomical geography to first grade undergraduate students at Gyula Juhász College

Awards
2005 I. and III. prize
27th National Undergraduate Conference (Physics, Geology and Mathematics section), Eötvös University, Budapest, Hungary
2004 I. and II. prize
Undergraduate Conference (Physics section), University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary

Other activities/interests
-- Volunteer astronomer at the 9th Acadia Night Sky Festival, Maine, USA
-- Helper at the Python/Linux/SQL workshop of Software Carpentry, Morgantown, USA
-- Amateur astronomy, nature, hiking, sport, music, painting, photography, cacti and succulents

Publications
[1] Makai, Z., Anderson, L. D., Mascoop, J. L. and Armentrout, W., The total integrated luminosity of
the Milky Way, in prep.
[2] Makai, Z., Anderson, L. D., Mascoop, J. L. and Johnstone, B. 2017, The infrared and radio flux
densities of Galactic HII regions, ApJ 846, 64M
[3] Z. Makai, D. Russeil, A. Zavagno et al., The ViaLactea source distance determination tool:
kinematic analysis of data cubes of molecular and atomic surveys, in prep.
[4] Z. Makai, M. Röllig and V. Ossenkopf, Herschel observation of the star–forming region NGC 3603
(Survey of light hydrides and CS (J=11-10)), in prep.
[5] N. Schneider, M. Röllig and Z. Makai, Globules and Pillars in Cygnus–X (II. Herschel
spectroscopy of PDR tracers), in prep.
[6] Makai, Zoltán Sándor, 2015, The physics and chemistry of photon-dominated clouds in NGC
3603, PhDT 33M
[7] Nagy, Z., Ossenkopf, V., Van der Tak, F. F. S., Faure, A., Makai, Z., Bergin, E. A. 2015, C2H as a
PDR tracer: a case study toward the Orion Bar, A&A 578A, 124N
[8] Nagy, Zs., Van der Tak, Floris, Ossenkopf, Volker ... Makai, Z. et al. 2013, Molecular line tracers
of high-mass star forming regions, Protostars and Planets VI
[9] F. F. S. van der Tak, Z. Nagy, V. Ossenkopf, Z. Makai et al. 2013, Spatially extended OH+
emission from the Orion Bar and Ridge, A&A 560, A95
[10] Roelfsema, P. R., Helmich, F. P. ... Makai, Z. et al. 2012, In-orbit performance of Herschel-HIFI,
A&A 537, A17
[11] Mookerjea, B., Giesen, T., Stutzki, J. ... Makai, Z. et al. 2010, Excitation and abundance of C3 in
star forming cores. Herschel/HIFI observations of the sight-lines to W31C and W49N, A&A 521, L13
[12] Erika Verebélyi, Martin Miller, L. Viktor Tóth, Zoltán Makai and Gábor Marton 2010, CO survey
of ARCHEOPS cold cores, In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 218, 1
[13] Sarneczky, K., Sipocz, B., Kiss, L. L. ... Makai, Z. et al. 2005, Minor Planet Observations [461
Szeged University, Piszkesteto Stn. (Konkoly)], Minor Planet Circulars, 53635, 6
[14] Gáspár, A., Balog, Z., Makai, Z., Vinkó, J. and Kenyon, S. J. 2005, Preliminary Results on Newly
Discovered Embedded Clusters, 209. In Cores to Clusters: Star Formation with Next Generation Telescopes
[15] Sarneczky, K., Meszaros, Sz., Sipocz, B. ... Makai, Z. et al. 2004, Minor Planet Observations [461
Szeged University, Piszkesteto Stn. (Konkoly)], Minor Planet Circulars, 50616, 2