eCampus

Lecture Notes

Handouts

Problem Sets

Past Exams

Videos

Chemistry 233 - Organic Chemistry I

Extra Help

If you feel like you need additional materials for practice, I have compiled the following list. Refresh the page regularly as I will add new content as I find it. If you have any suggestions for things to add, send them my way.

Books to Purchase

1. Sophomore Organic Chemistry By Inquisition ($35) - Website

• This is a supplemental workbook with mostly practice problems and solutions.

2. Organic Chemistry as a Second Language ($45) - Amazon

• This is a great book that some students use as a textbook replacement if they can't afford the official text. There is a lot of topics covered in good detail and every section has several practice problems.

3. Organic Chemistry I for Dummies ($17) - Amazon

4. Schaum's Outline of Organic Chemistry ($16) - Amazon

• A generally good workbook with both organic I and II topics. Contains many practice problems. Only drawbacks is that the authors use a lot of partially condensed structions and covers some topics that I typically skip.

5. Pushing Electrons ($20) - Amazon

• This workbook is very good, but also very specific. It will be useful to anyone who is struggling with using curved arrows to show electron flow in reaction mechanisms. It does not, however, cover any other topics.

6. Workbook for Organic Chemistry - Amazon

• This is a great workbook with a ton of problems. It tend to be expensive and I should caution you that many of the problems are pretty challenging. If you are looking for very basic level practice, this isn't the best choice.

7. Organic Chemistry Demystified

General Websites

Extra Practice from the Web by Topic

These resources are meant to provide extra practice. Be aware that there may be things covered that we have not covered in class. Likewise, we may cover things that aren't represented here.

Reactions of Alkenes

Reactions of Alkynes

NMR Spectroscopy

**Note: I have looked over these recommended materials and they appear to be of high quality. I have not, however, thoroughly vetted them. If you find anyting that doesn't make sense or contradicts what you have been taught, please let me know.

All course materials, including lectures, class notes, quizzes, exams, handouts, presentations, and other materials provided to students for this course are protected intellectual property. As such, the unauthorized purchase or sale of these materials may result in disciplinary sanctions under the Campus Student Code.