eCampus

Lecture Notes

Handouts

Problem Sets

Past Exams

Videos

Chemistry 233 - Organic Chemistry I

Course Materials and Resources

When determining course materials, my goal is to provide you with the higest quality materials for as low of a cost as possible.

Essentially, you will need three main products for the course. These are each listed below. There are, however, various oprions for each product.

1. Textbook: Organic Chemistry by McMurry, 9th edition + OWLv2 Access

The bookstore has two options. You do not need to purchase both!

• Option A: Organic Chemistry (LL)-W/OWLv2 Access ($227)

This package provides you with a loose-leaf version of the textbook, an e-Book version of the textbook, an e-Book version of the solutions manual, and OWLv2 online homework system.

• Option B: Cengage Unlimited Subscription, 1 Term ($119)

This package provides you with an eBook version of the textbok, e-Book version of the solutions manual, and OWLv2 online homework system.

If you purchase Cengage Unlimited for one course, you will also have included access to any other WVU courses that use Cengage products (i.e. Do not buy more than one "unlimited" subscription).

Cengage Unlimited Costs $119. Depsite having the "1-Term" title, your purchase will provide access for both Organic I and Organic II. You do not need the 12-month subscription for continuation courses such as Chem 233 & 234.

Optional Extra: Printed Textbook Rental for the semester $7.99

2. Top Hat Subscription

Top Hat, an online "clicker" and practice problem platform which will be used for in-class questions, quizzes, attendance, and practice problems.

For this class you will need a 1-term (4 month) subscription for $37. You may also purchase a yearlong subscription if you wish. Note: I will be using Top Hat in my section of Chem 234 in the Spring.

3. Molecular Model Set

I highly recommend having a model set to use with chapters 3, 4, and 5 where we explore the 3D structure of organic molecules. It is also recommended to have models for the Chem 235 stereochemistry laboratory. My favorite, low cost, set is listed below.

Duluth Molecular Model Kit -- Duluth Website -- Amazon Link

All course materials, including lectures, class notes, quizzes, exams, handouts, presentations, and other materials provided to students for this course are protected intellectual property. As such, the unauthorized purchase or sale of these materials may result in disciplinary sanctions under the Campus Student Code.