Math 156 - Calculus II
Fall 2017

Syllabus

Unforgivable Math Errors

Announcements:
  - Quiz 7 will be given on Monday, December 4 and will cover the material on Homework 13.
 - The final exam will be given on Monday, December 11 at 10:00 am in the usual lecture room, INN-B 314.  You may prepare and bring one 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper with any formulas, problems, or any other material you would like to use on the exam.  You can use both front and back of this sheet.  Additionally, you may use a scientific calculator.  To help you study for the exam, you may wish to review the list of exam material and list of practice problems.

Homework Assignments

Assignment 1 - Review problems, due Monday, August 21

Homework 2, due Friday, August 25
Homework 3, due Friday, September 1

Homework 4, due Friday, September 8

Homework 5, "due" Wednesday, September 13
(I will accept this homework up until Friday, September 15)

Homework 6, due Friday, September 22

Homework 7, due Friday, September 29

Homework 8, due Friday, October 13

Homework 9, due Friday, October 20

Homework 10, due Friday, November 3

Homework 11, due Friday, November 10

Homework 12, "due" Wednesday, November 15
(I will accept this homework for full credit up until Friday, November 17)

Homework 13, due Monday, December 4

Old Announcements:

- Quiz 1 will be on Friday, August 25 at the beginning of class, and will consist of one of the assigned homework problems from Homework 2.
- Quiz 2 will be on Friday, September 1 and will consist of one of the assigned homework problems from Homework 3.
- Exam 1 will be held on Wednesday, September 13. You may bring and use a scientific calculator.
 - Quiz 3 will be given on Friday, September 22 and will cover the material from Homework 6.
 - Exam 2 will be given on Friday, September 29 and will cover sections 7.8, 8.1, 8.2, and the center of mass portion of 8.3.  As discussed in class, you will not be permitted to use a formula sheet for the formulas in Chapter 8.  However, as promised in class, all integrals on the exam will be solvable using only the methods learned in Calc I.  You may bring and use a scientific calculator.
 - Note that the syllabus reflects the following change in my office hours: I will now have office hours on Tuesday from 1-2 and NOT on Monday from 3-4.
- Quiz 4 will be given on Friday, October 13, and will cover the material from Homework 8.
- Exam 3 will be given on Friday, October 20 and will cover Chapter 10.  You may bring and use a scientific calculator. (I've noticed a couple calculators that toe the line between scientific and graphing, but the policy is that you cannot use any programmable calculator.  If your calculator has a button that says "Prgm" or "Apps", it will not be permitted.  If your calculator is on this list, it can be used.  If not, you can ask me beforehand whether or not it will be permitted.)
 - Quiz 5 will be given on Friday, November 3, and will cover the material from Homework 10.
- I wrote up a solution to the bonus problem.  Although the solution to the problem can be found on the first page and a half of that, I went on to discuss further interesting things to investigate about rotated conics.
 - Quiz 6 will be given on Friday, November 10. It will cover the material from Homework 11.
 - Exam 4 will be given on Wednesday, November 15. It will cover the material from sections 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4, 11.5, 11.6, and 11.7. You will be given a list of tests for convergence/divergence, but you will need to know how to apply the tests effectively.